Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ifaranga Rimwe

Le 8 avril   One US dollar is equal to about 590 Rwandan Francs. I have bills in my wallet for 500, 2000 and 5,000 FRW.

Most commonly, the only coins that are used are 100 FRW, but from time to time I’ve gotten 50, 20, 10 and even 5 franc pieces. What is the value of FIVE Rwandan Francs? I’ve asked myself.

When I’d gone to the Western Union Bank to take out money that my parents had transferred from my accounts at home, I was in for a real treat.

The teller does the conversion for USD to FRW and then takes out a small amount which is the service charge. He slid a small wad o’ bills over to me under the glass window. [I swear, if I were handed the amount he’d handed over in USD and not FRW, I would live a good life.] And then he had to count the coins.

Brand-new 50’s, 20’s, 10’s, 5’s and ….. a ONE franc piece??

Besides being the laughing stock of all coins at 1/590 of a dollar, this poor coin looks like Monopoly money. (I suppose it has less value, too.) The coin is about the size of the tip of my pinky finger – only slightly larger than a pencil eraser.

Being so entertained by the coin, I’ve decided not to use them and to only keep them as Show-and-Tell for once I get back. Ask me when I get home, I’ll be happy to show you!

1 comment:

  1. Laura, do you have any pictures of your service in Rwanda? We would love to have a link!
    God bless and have fun with all your money!

    ReplyDelete