Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Significance of March 21st

Message from John & Barb:  Laura called us today, March 20th, and read us the reflection she’ll be reading to the young people at her school tomorrow morning.  (Each day someone reads or says some sort of reflection during morning prayer before classes begin.)  Upon hearing it, we asked Laura to email it to us so we could post it on her blog for her.  Here it is:
Does anyone know the significance of today? It’s March 21st. There are two answers I’ll accept. Today is the first full day of Spring and it’s also my grandmother’s birthday.

Spring is a time when people who have grown weary of the short days and snow of the cold winter rejoice, because the weather begins to get warmer and the plants begin blooming again. Spring is more than just a change of season for those that have gone through a long winter – it’s new life, a new beginning. It’s no coincidence that Easter falls during this season. Jesus died for us in order to bring us from the cold winter into the springtime – eternal life. When we follow Christ and have faith in Him, we, too, can enjoy the springtime of everlasting life with Jesus.

Today would have been my Gram’s 90th birthday. My grandmother, Josephine Barry, was always a woman of strong faith and looking for new ways to show God’s love to others. She and my grandfather taught their five sons and later their eleven grandchildren to love one another, to work hard, and to be thankful for what they have. Most of all, they taught us to have faith in God. To all who knew her, my Gram was truly an angel. She never stopped showing us how Christ wants us to live.

Last May, we knew that my Gram was nearing the end of her days. While her family dreaded losing her, she contented us with her unwavering faith. She was not afraid and didn’t want us to be, either – she knew that she would be going up to heaven. When my grandmother passed away in June, we were very relieved and happy for her – “this is the day that the Lord has made,” she would always say.

By dying for us, Jesus made it possible for us all to enjoy everlasting life. Easter reminds us of His sacrifice and shows us just how much God loves us. He sent His only Son down to Earth to die for us and save us from our sins. Let us be thankful and mindful of Jesus’ sacrifice this Lent, and may we be aware of just how much He loves us, to have died for us.
 
When we were little, my Gram taught us a song that we used to enjoy singing together. It’s called “This Little Light of Mine.” The message is to bring our talents, our love, and our faith to others and to be God’s light for others.

           This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
           This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
           This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
           Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!

1 comment:

  1. Laura, as I was walking Csonka Friday and thinking to myself what a beautiful day it was I could just hear Grams voice saying "this is the day the lord has made." So, I had to call your dad and tell him just that and that I was thinking of her and all of you guys as her birthday draws near. Miss her alot. Know she is smiling down on all of us. love you, Rae

    ReplyDelete