Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rwanda herself was sad to see you go.

Le 24 fevrier   Since Sunday when leaving Gisenyi town, my parents have been dreading when they would have to leave Rwanda. It’s a truly wonderful place, and it’s hard not to fall in love with it. The two of them truly did their research before coming here and read up on many different types of literature on Rwanda, its history, and its culture before they came. Having done so, they were able to fully embrace each moment and aspect of the trip. There was a nice balance, too, of touristy things and hometown things. We were able to have a rather well-rounded view of Rwanda in a relatively short time and my parents (as I do) found nothing not worth loving.

This makes it difficult to leave, when you realize you’ll be oceans away and unsure when you will be able to come back. I know that this, too, will be a major challenge for me. Near or far, though, leaving Rwanda is difficult. Its people are bubbling with love, energy, and joy, its terrain is breathtakingly beautiful, and all around are smiling faces. As my dad said, “They say that ‘God sleeps in Rwanda,’ but I’m pretty sure He spends the rest of the day here, too.” It really is heaven on earth.

After visiting the sisters’ school in Kigali one last time to say our goodbyes (and receive lots of hugs, too), we headed to the airport. With the flight having been changed slightly, they had to rush through security to check-in and head off to the gate. I think this was for the best – in difficult situations, sometimes it’s harder when you have time to think about it.

I waved to my parents as they hurried along for their departure, and then Jeremiah and I had one final Fanta together. We had a Fanta Fiesta (which is more or less grape, but sounds much catchier).

On the way back to the sisters’ house in Kigali where Jeremiah would be dropping me to stay, the clouds started turning an ominous shade of gray. At just about the same moment when my parents’ plane was scheduled to depart, the skies opened up and Rwanda grieved the parting of its dear friends.

I’m one who’s a big fan of symbolism, but how can you not read into something like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment