Saturday, March 26, 2011

Don Bosco Group.

Le 20 fevrier   My friend John is the leader of a group of students from the parish that dance and do theatre – they call themselves Don Bosco Group. I’d seen them perform on a few occasions (the skits are always entertaining even with the obvious language barrier) and was truly impressed. John has invited me a few times to their rehearsals, and I’ve loved just going to soak in the energy and revel at the talent of these youths.

When John heard that my parents were coming to town, he was thrilled – “Laura, do you think you could bring them to our rehearsal? We would love to perform for you.” I don’t know if I was more flattered by the gesture or excited for my parents to see the group. I agreed on the spot to be at their Sunday practice.

I told my parents a day or two before the rehearsal that we would be attending, just prefacing them with “they do modern dance and theatre and are truly incredible – you’ll see.” Knowing how special this group must be, to fit the event into our short weekend here in Gisenyi, they willingly complied.

I don’t think they knew what they were in for.

When we arrived at the hall next to the parish, one of the groups was already dancing. John and my friend Alexis brought us to a few chairs right up front where we would have a great view. One group after the other went, and the faces on my parents didn’t change – complete awe.

It’s an interesting thing with these youth – their skills are incredible but it’s difficult to decide whether to watch their remarkable moves or their smiles radiating complete joy.

John then introduced my parents to the students, saying that they were my parents and wanted to come see the group perform. Everyone was thrilled.

Then, the unexpected happened. Thomas and a few of the others from DBG took the floor and did a skit – in ENGLISH. This means that not only was the group performing in a language that they’re not nearly as comfortable in (and it’s more difficult to be creative in a foreign language), but the group actually put this skit together for us. I may have been more aware of this fact than my parents were, but we all were beaming from ear to ear. Here was this group – young people and friends that I’ve gotten to know over the last few months from the parish – putting on a skit to welcome my parents to Rwanda. What a gift.

While the theatre team went outdoors to create another skit, the dance troop displayed more incredible dancing. It’s hard to explain just how incredible they are. Perhaps I have a different appreciation for dance than others – I was never a dancer. When I was very young I took ballet for a few years and gymnastics another few, but I never truly danced. I love sports and music very much and can imagine myself on stage when I see others sing – but dancing? Dancing is something that I have a great respect for because I cannot do it myself. Truly, these young people are gifted.

After another skit from the theatre group – with my dear friend Alexis as the main character, radiating joy all the way from his toes – the dance team performed a few final songs and we had to say our goodbyes. My parents and I said a few words to the group, thanking them and applauding them, and then I took a group picture. And then everyone wanted their own picture with my lovely mother and charming father. I’m sure they felt like celebrities!

I only wish I could explain the love in the room when my parents and I were with Don Bosco Group. Rwandans are so quick to love and almost as quick to appreciate others’ actions. Even though some of the youth know me only from mass, they were all so eager to meet and perform for my parents. It was wonderful for them to see my loving family and just how much they love. My parents fell instantly in love with each of them, and they with my parents.

It’s difficult to explain what happened to family after the Genocide – people had to take in their nieces and nephews who had lost parents, others maybe took in others they did not know – either way, people had to take care of one another. People had to lean on one another because it’s all they had. Somehow, in this parish assembly room, my parents became parents to all of the Don Bosco Group youth. It was truly a magical feeling. And it made leaving Gisenyi all the more difficult, as they were leaving their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment