Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spring cleaning.

Le 19 mars    So, we’re preparing for some visitors. As is always with an approaching visit, one must clean the house and prepare in any way possible to best accommodate your guests. You may as well start calling me Cinderella. In fact, all six of us in the house have taken on the role. At least at the end, Cinderella is gets her prince – I’ll be getting 18 nuns.

April 18th is Provincial Gratitude Day, which will wrap up a week-long retreat which all the superiors in the province will be attending. This means that 18 nuns from Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania will be sleeping here for the night of the 17th. Where do you put 18 nuns, do you ask? You must move out of your room and sleep at the school. (It’ll be a nun sleepover, I’m pretty excited about it!)

That being said, I know that if my parents were to have 18 people come to their house, they would do a lot of cooking and cleaning. However, I’m living in a convent – a Salesian convent. Salesians like CLEAN. I’ve had to learn how to scrub walls with my left hand for fear of losing my right one! And I’ve learned that you can actually take down curtains from the windows and wash them – who knew?

The house is looking amazing and as we scurry around to prepare, we’re very much looking forward to our guests in a few weeks. And besides, that means ENGLISH-ONLY for the whole time they’re here! And mass in English! It’s been almost 7 months without mass in my native language. There is much to be excited for.

No comments:

Post a Comment